My 2017 Favourites Round-Up - Beauty, Books and Lifestyle

Sunday, December 24, 2017

My 2017 Favourites Round-Up - Beauty, Books and Lifestyle

Wow, I seriously can't believe that 2017 is almost over - it honestly feels like just a couple of months ago when the year started. I thought that now was the perfect time to do a round-up of all of my favourites from the year, including makeup products, books, music and much more. It's been a jam-packed year of trying new things and I've definitely discovered a lot of new products and items that are now firm favourites, so to find out what then keep reading!

Beauty

I think I finally discovered my holy-grail foundation in 2017 - the Rimmel Lasting Finish Breathable Foundation has seriously changed how I apply my makeup, and although it's a bold statement to make, I think it's the best foundation I've ever tried. The coverage is really good, it blends incredibly well and stays in place all day - what more could you want from a foundation? In terms of base makeup, the Catrice Liquid Camouflage Concealer has been a returning favourite in 2017, as I've seriously never tried a concealer that is as pigmented and covers my blemishes incredibly well. I've done in-depth reviews of both of these, so click the links to read more about this foundation and this concealer.

Out of all makeup products, I think bronzer is my essential and I couldn't go without using it to warm up my skin and add an injection of colour to my otherwise pale complexion. The Max Factor Baked Bronzer is perfect for adding a radiant, luminous glow to the skin, providing a natural, sunkissed sheen that replaces my lack of tan in winter, which is definitely an essential.

I haven't worn eyeshadow that frequently in 2017, as honestly, I'd rather have the extra minutes in bed before college than getting up earlier, but whenever I have worn eyeshadow it's often been from the Seventeen Easy on the Eyes Palette. This has the most gorgeous nude and rosy shades that really make my eyes pop, and they're all incredibly blendable, so application is easy and effortless.

2017 has definitely been a year of rocking a nude lipstick, and the one that I find myself reaching for constantly is the Makeup Revolution Rose Gold Lipstick in Chauffeur, which is the perfect 'your lips but better' shade that looks lovely with any makeup look. It's comfortable to wear and doesn't accentuate any dryness on my lips, making it a lipstick that I've been loving applying.


Books

Sadly due to being so busy with college, I haven't had a lot of time for reading for pleasure in 2017. However, in summer I did manage to read Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas, which I fell in love with. I was obsessed with Throne of Glass last summer when I read it, so I knew that I would enjoy the sequel, and I was definitely right as this was such an intense yet delightful read. I also raced through The Giver by Lois Lowry, and if the fact that I finished this book in 3 hours isn't proof that I loved it then I don't know what is - it's seriously a must-read modern classic.

Due to studying English literature as one of my A Levels, I've definitely had the chance to read more classics this year and broaden my horizons of literature. I thoroughly enjoyed Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen the first time that I read it, so much so that I decided to use it for my coursework, and it's definitely a classic that you need to give a read. I also read King Lear by Shakespeare to include on my personal statement and I never thought I'd say this but I actually really enjoyed it, despite it being a challenging and hefty piece of 17th-century literature.

My hygge book has also been a firm favourite this year and I've been referencing this often, especially in the colder months. If you're looking to implement this into your life, then The Little Book of Hygge, The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking must be your first port of call. If you'd like to read my Hygge inspired blog post for some further inspiration and ideas, then you can check that out here.


My 2017 Favourites Round-Up - Beauty, Books and Lifestyle

TV Shows

2017 was the year that I discovered Twin Peaks and progressed to binge-watching all of the episodes followed by the new series which premiered at the end of May. Although a 90s supernatural mystery isn't what I'd expect to like, I fell in love with it and seriously became addicted, and from episode one I was hooked and wanted to find out who killed Laura Palmer. I'd seriously recommend watching this if you haven't, especially since there's also the new series now.

Although I've only just started watching The Man in the High Castle, it's seriously good enough to make the list of favourites from the year. As I'm writing this I'm at the start of season 2 but will have probably finished it in a matter of days, as it's such an addictive and gripping tv show that I've become invested in. Not only is the premise of life were Germany and Japan won the war really interesting to watch play out, but the show is also full of twists and turns that'll keep you on the edge of your seat.


Music and Podcasts

I'm sure it won't surprise anyone to hear that Bastille has yet again been my favourite band of the year, and I listen to their music non-stop. I also got tickets to their Reorchestrated tour in April which I really can't wait for! I've also been loving Amber Run's For A Moment I Was Lost, Banks' The Altar and Lorde's Melodrama, which I've been playing on repeat all year, as well as everything by Charlie Barnes. On Spotify, I've also been listening to quite a few songs by Dean Lewis and Dermot Kennedy and loving them a lot, which I'm sure will carry me into 2018.

Podcasts really have become an obsession of mine in 2017, and I went from never having listened to one to it becoming a daily occurrence. I've tried out quite a lot and so definitely have a number of recommendations, which you can check out in this blog post, but some of my favourites have definitely been Twin Peaks Unwrapped and At Home With..., which are completely different but equally as enjoyable.


Lifestyle

Something that I started in 2017 and want to continue in the new year is making a bit more of an effort with things like jewellery. It's no secret I've been obsessed with chokers this entire year, and they definitely add to an outfit and are the perfect way of accessorising, and I've also been recently loving wearing statement belts, as they can really change an outfit. I've also been experimenting with more fragrances, and the Primark Private Collection Perfumes have been a firm favourite that I've reached for frequently.

I'm not going to say that I've been really healthy in 2017, cause that would be a complete lie, but I have been making a few steps towards being a tiny bit healthier in my daily routine. I've formed a new obsession with protein bars and any other fruit and nut bars, having one of these for my breakfast pretty much every day while walking to college. I've also been drinking a lot of peppermint tea (which I feel like I mention in a lot of blog posts) but it's quickly become one of my favourite drinks and one that I find myself reaching for a lot while working.

In terms of activities, my favourite by far this year has been playing keyboard, which I do pretty much every evening. I've been able to play for 10 years now and when I was younger I used to sit for hours practising songs, and this love of playing keyboard has been revived over the past year or so. I've been progressing through all of my favourite songs so that I can sing and play to my heart's content, and I've definitely been doing this a lot in 2017.



I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and hearing what my favourites have been, and I'd love to know yours down in the comments, or alternatively link me to your blog post if you write one similar to this. I'll be back this time next week with my 2017 memories blog post, which is something that I've done every year for the past few years and loved seeing an overview of the various achievements and events of the year, so make sure you come back for that! Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas!

Love from Daisy x

Post a Comment