My #ThisIsWhoIAm Time Capsule - The Square Root of Summer

Sunday, May 08, 2016


To celebrate the release of Harriet Reuter Hapgood's debut novel The Square Root of Summer, MyKindaBook has launched an exciting global campaign - #ThisIsWhoIAm. Taking inspiration from the time capsule that characters Gottie and Thomas create in the book, I have been asked to think about what I'd include in a time capsule that represents me during the summer of 2016. This is definitely something that I was interested in doing and the idea of creating a time capsule has fascinated me since I was very young. Although it was difficult to decide what to include, I'm certain that everything in this time capsule would help me to remember who I am right now, and most importantly shows that This Is Who I Am. I included:

COPIES OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS
Reading is one of my biggest hobbies and I've loved books for as long as I can remember, so some of them are necessities in my time capsule. I feel as though books contain many memories for me and it'd also be interesting to see what I enjoyed reading as a teenager and whether my tastes have changed over the years. A few of the books that I'd want to include are:

  • City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare - Although I love the Mortal Instruments series as a whole, this book was a beautiful conclusion and I loved every minute of it. Not only does it show what I enjoyed reading as a teenager, but it represents a huge part of my life, and so this book was a necessary inclusion.
  • Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - This is another book that I'd class as a favourite and it was while reading it that I started to enjoy fantasy and science fiction novels, which are now my favourite genres. I also have many memories attached to this series, so I had to include it.
  • Did I Mention I Love You by Estelle Maskame - For me, this book represents how I've recently started to expand in what I read and try contemporary novels. Also, this is the first book that I was sent to review for my blog, which is a huge milestone that I want to remember.
TICKETS AND PROGRAMMES FROM MY SHOWS
Aside from reading and blogging, my biggest hobby is performing and I love to dance, sing and act, so I wanted to include things to show this in my time capsule. Tickets and programmes from shows will remind me of all of the performances I've done and roles that I've had, all of which I want to remember. I'd also love to include some videos, particularly of me dancing, as I think these would be interesting to see and I definitely have some memorable moments dancing, such as when I first nailed my set of fouetté turns or self-choreographed a trio with some of my best friends.

MY HEAD GIRL BADGE
Being the Head Girl of my secondary school was a huge achievement for me and definitely something that I want to remember for a long time. Including my badge in the time capsule will act as a reminder of this memory and convince my future self to have some more self-belief and confidence. It will also act as a reminder of my time in education in general as I have plenty of happy memories from school that I don't want to forget.

A COPY OF MY NANOWRIMO STORY
Writing is something that I thoroughly enjoy and want to continue in the future, whether that's just through blogging or in my job. One of my biggest goals is to write a book myself and this is something that I've aimed to do since I was a child. I feel as though my first proper attempt at writing a book was from NaNoWriMo last year, where I wrote over 20,000 words of a novel that I was really pleased with. I want to include this to show my future self where I started in regards to writing and also to inspire me to continue creating stories in the future.

A CD WITH ALL OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS
Music is a huge part of my life, with Spotify constantly playing, and it just takes one song to evoke many memories. I can guarantee that as I became older I'd forget some of these beautiful songs, and so keeping a copy of them in my time capsule would allow me to reminisce. Some of the many songs that I'd choose are:

  • Heart of Stone by Iko - my all-time favourite song had to be included, and it also acts as a nod to my Twilight obsession
  • Bonfire Heart by James Blunt - the song which reminds me of my family holiday in America and consequently some of my favourite memories
  • Turning Page by Sleeping at Last - I'm honestly in love with every Sleeping at Last song, but this is probably my favourite and the first of his that I ever heard
  • Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon - my feel-good song and a reminder of my holidays in Spain, which is practically a second home to me
  • Unfaithful by Rihanna - my favourite song growing up and the first popular song that I learned how to play on keyboard
PHOTOS OF MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Photos are really special as they can capture a moment or event perfectly and allow you to remember it in more detail than ever. I have plenty of photos on my phone and laptop that document my life and give an accurate representation of who I am at this moment of time, so I'd love to include them in my time capsule. Whether it's random photos from my daily life or those featuring my family and friends, these memories would probably be the most cherished and therefore an important part of the time capsule. I'd also love to see how I've changed and how my life is different when I'm older and open up the time capsule.

A HANDWRITTEN LETTER TO MY FUTURE SELF
This is the final thing that I'd like to include in my time capsule. I think that something like this would be a great addition as it allows me to see what life was like when creating the time capsule. Whether the letter was a formal one addressed to my future self or just discussed my general life, I think that reading it in the future would be incredibly funny and sentimental. Although I've never been one to keep a diary, a letter like this would be a great way to document a moment in my life for me to relive in the future.


I'm incredibly thankful for the people at MyKindaBook and Pan Macmillan for the opportunity to share what would be in my time capsule and for sending me this book. If you'd like a review of it sometime in the future then just let me know, as I'd be more than happy to write one. Now that you've seen what's in my time capsule I'd love for you to share yours, which you can do using the hashtag #ThisIsWhoIAm on social media. I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you next week with a new one!

Love from Daisy x

Post a Comment